2022-2023 Scholarship Information
If you plan on going to a trade school, college, or university after you graduate, you will most likely need financial aid to help pay your way. Scholarships are monetary awards given to students that do not have to be paid back. Receiving a scholarship can be based on different factors that may include: academic achievement, athletic achievement, involvement in a club or organization, and more.
The best time to begin thinking about applying for scholarships is right now. Scholarships have fixed dates that your application must be received by to be considered as a candidate to receive the award.
Go through this scholarship list and write the application due date down in a calendar so you can be sure to get the application papers submitted on time.
Dollars for Scholars All Garrison High School students have an opportunity to receive scholarship money through the Dollars for Scholars program if they successfully graduate from high school. The Garrison Dollars for Scholars program was founded in 1991, and all graduating seniors can receive scholarship awards if they meet minimum requirements. Overall amounts are determined by GPA, class rank, community involvement, and more. Mrs. Ruud and Mrs. Behles or another representative from Garrison Dollars for Scholars will help guide seniors through the online application process well before the due date.
Institutional Scholarships When you apply to a college or university, you also complete a financial aid application which helps the school determine what grants or scholarships you may be eligible for. Most of the time, this is done based on the demographic information you entered when you applied (gender, ethnicity, degree program, and so on). If you apply to North Dakota State University, their financial aid office will determine what eligible awards you could receive that are specific to your school. It doesn’t hurt to double-check what’s available to ensure that you didn’t miss out on an award for which you could potentially be a candidate. College and university websites have specific financial aid webpages, and you can search for available scholarships.
- For example, here is the link to Bismarck State College’s scholarship directory: https://bismarckstate.edu/admissions/payingforcollege/scholarships/. If you have unsuccessfully tried searching for the scholarship directory at the school you want to attend, this is a great question to ask an admissions representative. You can also get help from Mrs. Ruud.
Other Scholarships Hard copies of scholarship applications will be printed off and placed in the literature rack outside Mrs. Ruud’s office when they are mailed to GHS. Notices about due dates and other scholarship information will be regularly communicated through RemindApp. You can also keep track of local scholarships by using the following list, which is posted out of convenience for students and parents.
Guidance and Help Mrs. Ruud is available to meet with juniors and seniors to help with scholarship application questions. Please stop by his office or contact him by e-mail to set up an appointment: email@example.com.
Award Amount: $6,000 over four years; $1500 per year
Eligibility Criteria: meet all of the scholarship criteria found on the ND DPI website: https://www.nd.gov/dpi/sites/www/files/documents/Early%20Learning/Directions%20for%20Scholarship.pdf
How to Apply: Applications are accepted from January 2-June 2 to be considered. Additional details can be found at: https://www.nd.gov/dpi/parentscommunity/scholarships
The List (if you know of a local scholarship that is missing from this list or the information is outdated, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This should not be considered a completely exhaustive list. Other scholarships will come to my attention throughout the year and will be communicated on RemindApp. You can also find more by doing your research online.
- Associated General Contractors Description: The AGC of North Dakota offers multiple scholarships to students interested in construction careers. Consult the website for more detailed information on eligibility requirements, award amounts, and due dates. Website: https://www.agcnd.org/scholarship/
- BBB Student of Integrity Scholarship Award Amount: Three Scholarships- one for $5,000, three for $2,500, and two for $1,000 Eligibility Criteria: Seniors from an accredited North Dakota or Minnesota high school. How to Apply: Submit a 1,000-word essay sharing a personal example of how you were challenged and overcame a difficult situation by applying your high character and personal ethics. The essay must accompany a scholarship entry form, one letter of recommendation, a copy of your high school transcript, and a list of extracurricular activities. Judging will be based mainly on the content of the essay. Open from Jan. 6-Feb. 16 2022. Link: https://www.bbb.org/local/0704/bbb-foundation/student-of-integrity-scholarship
- American Legion Auxiliary- These unique scholarships have different deadlines and criteria. The website for general information is. The following scholarships can be found on this website.
- American Legion Auxiliary, Department of ND, Past Presidents Parley (may be used at a nursing school of the student’s choice)
- American Legion Auxiliary Department of ND – Education Program (Sponsors a program to assist students pursuing a degree in the field of their choice)
- American Legion, Auxiliary National Level Scholarships Information on this scholarship,can be found at www.alaforveterans.org.
- SAMSUNG American Legion Scholarship -The scholarship information can be found at https://www.legion.org/samsung-scholarship-application
- Bremer Bank: Description: There is a directory of scholarships on this website that are distributed through Bremer Bank. Please use the website for detailed information about due dates, award amounts, and eligibility requirements. Applications open on December 1st. Website: https://www.communitygiving.org/applyforscholarships
- Dakota Cruisers Scholarship: Eligibility: Minot's Dakota Cruisers car club will again award $500 scholarships to students from area schools pursuing a career in automotive repair and restoration. Students must be enrolled or plan on enrolling in a vocational college in North Dakota, with additional consideration given to accredited, approved out-of-state institutions. This scholarship will be emailed to me, and I will share it via RemindApp and be posted outside the counselor’s office door. Due Date: April 30, 2023 (exact date TBD)
- Farm Credit Services: The recipient may be from an actively farming and ranching OR planning to pursue an agricultural career. The application deadline is March 1, 2022. Website: https://www.farmcreditnd.com/farm-credit-offers-college-scholarships
- Great River Energy: Description: Great River Energy offers scholarships to eligible graduating seniors pursuing a four-year or vocational-technical degree from a North Dakota college, university, or technical school. Website: https://greatriverenergy.com/community-support/scholarships/ Due Date: March 2022 (exact date TBD)
- HELEN BERGSTROM ERNST SCHOLARSHIP FUND: The Helen Bergstrom Ernst Scholarship Fund was established to allow members of the Spirit Lake tribe to pursue their educational goals. Applicants must be enrolled members of the Spirit Lake tribe, enrolled full-time in an accredited post-secondary institution, and maintain a 2.00 GPA. The deadline for the scholarship is September 30th of each year. Applications are available by contacting the Spirit Lake Tribe Education Office, PO Box 359, Ft. Totten, ND 58335. (701) 766-4347. Applications are available online at http://www.spiritlakenation.com/programs/departments/education
- Horatio Alger Association Scholarships: Eligibility: Multiple types of awards for academic and CTE scholarships. Please refer to the website for more information and due dates. Website: https://scholars.horatioalger.org/scholarships/about-our-scholarship-programs/
- McLean Electric/Basin Electric Scholarship: Eligibility & Amount: The Scholarship Program will award two scholarships for $500. The scholarships must be used for educational costs, and the student must enter a higher education institution in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given or be an enrolled higher education student. Checks will be made payable to the school. Deadline February 1, 2022 Website: http://www.mcleanelectric.com/content/scholarships
- McLean Electric Scholarship: Eligibility & Amount: McLean Electric Cooperative, Inc. is pleased to offer a financial assistance award to assist youth in pursuing their higher education goals. McLean Electric will give $500 financial assistance to one student enrolled or planning to enroll in a full-time graduate or undergraduate course of study at an accredited two-year or four-year college, university, or vocational/technical school. Deadline February 1, 2022 Website: http://www.mcleanelectric.com/content/scholarships
- Michael Odermann Memorial Scholarship:
Description & Eligibility: High school seniors graduating in 2021 are eligible to receive a $1,000 college scholarship from the Michael
Odermann Memorial Scholarship Pheasant Hunt. There will be two scholarships available to seniors. The student must be enrolled in a western North Dakota high school and participate actively in one Fine Art and one Athletic co-curricular activity as a senior. The student must have maintained a GPA of 2.5 (on a 4-point scale) or better throughout high school. To qualify for this competitive scholarship, a student must submit a 1–3-page essay (minimum 500 words). Winners will be notified by letter. FB page: https://www.facebook.com/birds4scholars/
Due Date: April 2022 (exact day TBD) Contact for an application: email@example.com
- Minot Rotary Scholarship Fund: Eligibility: Applicants must be graduating seniors of the current year, be involved in school and community activities, and enroll in a postsecondary or vocational school following high school graduation. Children of Minot Rotarians are not allowed to participate. Due March 31, 2022. Website: http://www.centerforcommunitygiving.com/receive/Scholarships/MinotRotaryClubScholarshipFund/
- National Turkey Federation Academic Scholarship: Please use the contact information on the website and application to see eligibility requirements and award amounts. In the search bar, type scholarships, and you will be able to see what is available and when the due date is. Website: https://www.nwtf.org/resource-library/detail/scholarship-application
- ND Corn Growers Association: Description: The North Dakota Corn Growers Association awarded 10 – $1,000 scholarships in 2020, typically including a recipient from each organization’s seven districts and three at-large recipients. To be eligible for the North Dakota Corn Growers Association scholarship, students had to submit: a completed application, career plans, at least two letters of recommendation from non-family members, a resume, and a copy of their most recent transcript. Applicants are required to be a North Dakota Corn Growers Association member. Student memberships are available for high school and post-secondary students for $10. Applications are due by January 31st, 2022. Website:https://bismarckstate.edu/uploads/290/2022%20North%20Dakota%20Corn%20Growers%20Association%20Scholarship.pdf
- ND Crop Improvement Association: Amount: Three $1000 scholarships available to incoming first-year students. Three $1000 scholarships are available to undergraduates (excluding first-year students). Eligibility: The applicant shall be a resident of the state of North Dakota and attend a North Dakota School. Applicant and guardian shall be a member of their respective county Crop (Ag) Improvement Association. The applicant shall be a full-time student (12 credits or more). Website: https://ndcropimprovement.com/north-dakota-college-scholarships-awards/
- ND Farmers Union: Description: There are several types of scholarship opportunities listed on this page. Please read each application carefully for eligibility, award amounts, and due date information. Website: http://ndfu.org/youth/scholarships
- ND Grain Dealers Association: Award Amount - Eight $1,000 scholarships Eligibility Criteria: Students in agricultural curriculums at North Dakota institutions of higher learning, particularly for those students pursuing careers in grain marketing, agronomy, and related agribusiness. Due Date: September 30, 2021 Website: https://www.ndgda.org/services/educational-foundation
- ND Jaycee Senate Scholarship: Description: Applicants will compete for four scholarships of $300 each. Three primary award winners and one alternate winner will be selected. The application must be postmarked by January 22, 2022.
- ND United Scholarships: Description: Scholarships are available to North Dakota United members, including Student NDU and NDU-Retired members, as well as the dependents of all members. All scholarships have been awarded for the 2021 academic year. Application forms for 2022 will be posted on January 1, 2021. Website: https://www.ndunited.org/who-we-are/ndu-foundation/grants-scholarships/
- North Dakota Association of Counties: Description: The NDACO scholarship program was created in 1998 to assist county families in affording college. Children and grandchildren of county officials and employees are eligible to apply. The scholarship fund is supported by corporate sponsors like Nationwide Retirement Solutions and county donors from across the state. Thanks to their generosity, the scholarships have grown from two $500 awards to six $2,000 awards!
Applications are due by May 27, 2022. Website: https://www.ndaco.org/programs_and_services/institute-of-local-government-ilg/scholarships/
- North Dakota Implement Dealers Association: Award amount: Up to $6,000 Description: The North Dakota Implement Dealers Association is looking for students interested in the equipment industry. Farm equipment dealers Throughout the state of North Dakota have a growing demand for well-trained diesel technicians. While technicians are a particular area of focus, dealers are interested in assisting potential employees in all areas of dealership operations, including sales, service, parts, and management. Website: https://www.highplainseq.com/read-about-tractor-sprayer-utv-equipment-dealership--scholarship
- North Dakota School Counselor Association: Amount: $1,000 Eligibility: Download the application document from the NDSCA website for more details. Website: http://www.ndsca.us/awards.html Due Date: December 2021 (exact date TBD)
- North Dakota State Fair Foundation: Amount: Up to four $1,000 awards For more information, please consult the website listed below. Due June 13, 2022 Website: http://www.ndstatefairfoundation.com/scholarships
- Prairie Hills Scholastic Banquet Scholarships & Applications Description: The Prairie Hills Scholastic Banquet is an annual spring banquet focusing on the academic achievements of area youth. You must complete separate applications for each scholarship. The eligibility requirements are different for each award so read very carefully. Applications are due on the last day of March. They may be delivered to 91 N. Main Street or mailed to BHG Inc., P.O. Box 309, Garrison, ND 58540. The application must be postmarked no later than the last day of March. Website: https://www.nordaknorth.com/scholarship
- Reuben T. Guenthner Scholarship Eligibility: Be a graduating senior from a North Dakota high school in 2022. Have completed one or more career and technical education courses between grades 9 and 12; (Career and Technical Education courses may be in any of the following programs: Agriculture Education; Business Education; Family and Consumer Sciences; Information Technology; Marketing Education; Technology and Engineering Education; or any of the programs in Trade, Industry, Technical and Health Education). Enroll in a two-year North Dakota public postsecondary institution. Enroll as a full-time student in a career and technical education program of two years or less. Amount: One scholarship in the amount of $500 each. Due April 1, 2022 Website: https://www.cte.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Students/GuenthnerScholarship.pdf
- RTC Coop Scholarship: Description: In 2022, Reservation Telephone Cooperative (RTC) will award four college scholarships in varying amounts. Preference will be given to students going into telecom, IT, electronics, accounting, marketing, or business-related fields interested in returning to RTC’s service area after earning their degree. Eligibility: Be a high school senior who will enter your first year of college in the fall of 2018. Be a current member of RTC. To be a member, you or your parents/guardians must have local telephone service from RTC. Be a United States citizen. Have a “C” (2.0) average or better, grade 9 through December of grade 12. Be accepted by an accredited two‐year or four‐year college, university, or vocational-technical school. I have been involved in four different extra-curricular activities during high school. List each activity only once, regardless of the number of years involved. Activities may be related to your school, employment, or community. Website: https://www.rtc.coop/scholarships/
- STANDING ROCK HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP Applicants must be enrolled members of the Standing Rock Tribe. Applications are available by contacting the Office of Higher Education, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, PO Box D, Fort Yates, ND 58538, 1-800-854-2095. Deadline dates: Fall Semester–July 1, Spring Semester—December 30, Summer Semester–May 30.
- State Farm Companies Foundation: Description: The Foundation supports key initiatives, scholarships, and associate-directed programs, including grants supporting volunteerism and matching gifts to charitable organizations and two- and four-year colleges and universities. These programs support the communities where State Farm® associates live and work. Website: https://www.statefarm.com/about-us/community-involvement/community-grants/state-farm-foundations
- TURTLE MOUNTAIN HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP Applicants must be enrolled members of the Turtle Mountain Tribe. Applications are available by contacting Emil LaRoque, Scholarship Office, PO Box 900, Belcourt, ND 58316. (701) 477-8102. Deadline: September 1.
- William John Tuntland Masonic Scholarship Description: Available for those pursuing a nursing degree. Information will be sent to Mrs. Ruud, who will distribute the information via RemindApp and post it outside the counselor’s office door. Due Date: March 2022 (exact date TBD)
Bank of North Dakota College Handbook (see page 24): https://bnd.nd.gov/pdf/college-handbook.pdf